Experiment: Motif Picker & Library
Often times designs for kente stoles were often described to weavers. Sometimes through drawings or even at times through conversation. Further, there’ve also been times where people did not know what motifs were also available/possible, so the same motifs kept being used.
With my project, I hope to create instances that both help people communicate better with weavers and also help realize the possibilties of what could be weft.
After some time, although I wanted randomness, I realized the need to work within some kind of set grid.
Doing this in the native Processing environment was proving to be challenging for me, so with some research I found the HYPE framework which helped me build with these motifs the way I wanted to.
With Kente, the number of motifs on the cloth show whether the wearer is male or female. So having a thermal print with different motifs for the ‘user’ scracth out the motifs they don’t want on their stole could be very key in the process of weaving.
With this idea, I could also start building a library of motifs and meanings that could randomly be picked from when wearers want unique and random designs.
December 12 2020